Nicholas Pappas wrote:

>       But this has given me a chance to pause and see if anyone has
>       installed Gentoo on a Sony Z505RX laptop before.

Hmmmm, historical hardware! :) The forums have plenty of these and other
Z models on record, the first one dates from May *last* year...

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=2069

In general, if you get that PCMCIA-CD-drive of yours to spin at
all you're ready to go. People have used the time-honoured
"ide2=0x180,0x386" boot prompt command to make this work. If that
doesn't help, you'll find the alternative installation guide or the
floppy boot routine of much value.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8690

Don't try the 2.6 kernel (or a pre-emptible 2.4.x) if you want your
Rockwell modem to work with the Conexant drivers. Everything else will
just fall into place as soon as you get your kernel configuration right.
I suggest the e100 module for the built-in NIC (don't know if it's on
the LiveCD, you can temporarily use the eepro driver instead).

When in doubt, *always* ask at the linux-sony mailing list: