On Tuesday, 26 August 2003, at 06:38AM, Meph Istopheles wrote:

My question has to do with partitions as well. I've been running the same /home partition on /dev/hdb1 for quite a few installs of RH.

# df -h
/dev/hda2              37G  3.4G   31G  10% /
/dev/hda1              76M   15M   57M  21% /boot
/dev/hdb1              12G  511M   10G   5% /home
none                  251M     0  251M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb2              13G  3.0G  9.3G  24% /backup
/dev/hdd1              75G   20k   71G   1% /backup2

(/dev/hda1 is so big because I have a few different kernels in
there)

I'll be swapping the current /dev/hdd1 to be /dev/hda & the
current /dev/hda.

  Now, I've been using DiskDruid for partitioning when I set up,
& have used fdisk countless times on different drives for
partitioning, but never during setup.  Will the setup --
assuming, as it should, will find all drives & will set fstab
to mount /dev/hdb1 as /home, or will I have to do that manually
after first boot as root?

Drive partitioning & mounting is something that Gentoo doesn't believe in doing automagically for you.

It is covered in section 7 of the install docs:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml#doc_chap7
You should treat your partition layout just like /boot /usr & /var mentioned in the docs.

Code listing 7.2 shows how to mount a typical simple partition layout from _within_ the InstallCD chroot. Let's edit this for your system (for the df -h above, not your proposed changes, because it's too early in the morning for me to absorb those right now):

# mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/home
# mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/gentoo/home
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/backup
# mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/gentoo/backup
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/backup2
# mount /dev/hdd1 /mnt/gentoo/backup2

Editing fstab is mentioned later in the same document: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml#doc_chap15

Code listing 15.1:

  /dev/BOOT         /boot       ext2     noauto,noatime  1 2
  /dev/ROOT         /           ext3     noatime         0 1
  /dev/SWAP         none        swap     sw              0 0
  /dev/cdroms/cdrom0  /mnt/cdrom  iso9660  noauto,ro     0 0
  proc              /proc       proc     defaults        0 0

"... of course be sure to replace "BOOT", "ROOT" and "SWAP" with the actual block devices you are using (such as hda1, etc.)"

So on your system:

  /dev/hda1         /boot       ext2     noauto,noatime  1 2
  /dev/hda2         /           ext3     noatime         0 1
  /dev/hdb1         /home       reiserfs noatime         0 3
  /dev/hdb2         /backup     reiserfs noatime         0 3
  /dev/hdd1         /backup2    reiserfs noatime         0 3

  /dev/SWAP         none        swap     sw              0 0
  /dev/cdroms/cdrom0  /mnt/cdrom  iso9660  noauto,ro     0 0
  proc              /proc       proc     defaults        0 0

HTH,

Stroller.