No the fas is running all the time ,

and when the system crash the screen dont go blank (I still can see my desktop but I can't move the mouse or press the keyboard)

Jason Cooper wrote:
SMS WebMaster ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:

Hi

I was RedHat and Mandrake user and now I am (I hope for ever :) ) Gentoo user

but I have a big problem. linux sometime crash (hang) sometime without any reason !!!

This happened to me in Redhat,Mandrake and now in gentoo

sometime I don't do anything , just browsing the net with mozilla !!!

anyone know any reason for this crash ??

My PC is : Compaq Presario 2800 (Laptop) HardDisk 20GB Memory: 256M CPU : Intel Mobile 1400

I would suspect hardware.  Listen for the fan, does it stop?  Is it
running at all?  I once had a Cyrix :( 266MHz that did it all the time,
regardless of Linux OS or configuration.  It was overheating.

BTW : How can I make gentoo allway check the hardisk (ReiserFS) if the shutdown not clear

ReiserFS is a journalling filesystem, in *theory* it won't loose data
during a crash.  I'm not sure how to force the check on reiser, but
adding 'reiserfsck /dev/hda?' to rc.local wouldn't hurt.  Just slows down
bootup times a little.

HTH,

Cooper.

http://www.4-SMS.Com