SMS WebMaster ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> No the fas is running all the time ,
>
> and when the system crash the screen dont go blank (I still can see my
> desktop but I can't move the mouse or press the keyboard)
>

> Jason Cooper wrote:
> >SMS WebMaster ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> >
> >>Hi
> >>
> >>I was RedHat and Mandrake user and now I am (I hope for ever :) ) Gentoo
> >>user
> >>
> >>but I have a big problem. linux sometime crash (hang) sometime without
> >>any reason !!!
> >>
> >>This happened to me in Redhat,Mandrake and now in gentoo
> >>
> >>sometime I don't do anything , just browsing the net with mozilla !!!
> >>

> >>anyone know any reason for this crash ??
> >>

> >>My PC is :
> >>Compaq Presario 2800 (Laptop)
> >>HardDisk 20GB
> >>Memory: 256M
> >>CPU : Intel Mobile 1400
> >>

> >I would suspect hardware.  Listen for the fan, does it stop?  Is it
> >running at all?  I once had a Cyrix :( 266MHz that did it all the time,
> >regardless of Linux OS or configuration.  It was overheating.
> >

> >>BTW : How can I make gentoo allway check the hardisk (ReiserFS) if the
> >>shutdown not clear
> >>

> >ReiserFS is a journalling filesystem, in *theory* it won't loose data
> >during a crash.  I'm not sure how to force the check on reiser, but
> >adding 'reiserfsck /dev/hda?' to rc.local wouldn't hurt.  Just slows down
> >bootup times a little.
> >
> >HTH,
> >
> >Cooper.

Yep, that sounds about right.  When the processor overheats, it can't
handle interrupts anymore (kybd, mouse), but the video card continues to
display the last image presented.  It was a few years ago, but that
sounds like exactly what was happening to me.

Next time it happens, reboot into bios settings and look around for the
sensor readings.  See what the cpu temp is.

You also may want to look into lmsensors, it will report sensor readings
while in linux.

There is still the possibility it could be something else, but since it
happened on three different distros under different circumstances, I'm
going to lean towards processor overheat.

Good luck with this one, hardware errors are a b*tch, and usually end up
costing money, especially on laptops.  I sincerely hope it's something
else...

Cooper.