begin  quote
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:56:40 -0500
Matt Garman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For what it's worth, the Debian system used:
>
> g++ (GCC) 3.3.2 20030908 (Debian prerelease)
>
> And the Gentoo system is using:
>
> g++ (GCC) 3.2.3 20030422 (Gentoo Linux 1.4 3.2.3-r2, propolice)
>
> Looks like Debian's is a bit newer.  I don't follow gcc development
> really---have their been drastic improvements in a minor revision?

Thats not a minor. thats about as major as its been previous years..
I think they had a 20% speedup in just plain compile times, and
solidified the "athlon-xp" to actually be xp instead of athlon + sse.

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -vp gcc,  Give it a whirl (if you dare)
to get gcc 3.3 on Gentoo as well, then you at least come to the point of
the same generation of compilers, might work better then ;)

I also hope you checked so hdparm reports the same thing between debian
and Gentoo.

//Spider
--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!