Biggest problem I am coming across is time.  For "zip", I have 23 CFLAG
combinations, run 10 tests for each.  That makes 23 emerges, and 230
timings to take.  Can take nearly 24 hours to complete and the machine
is unusable (unless you dont mind noise in the timings).

And that doesnt include dynamicly loaded libs that are pulled in ...

Also, it seems that one set of flags may be faster on one application,
but may have a different effect on another.

BillK