On Oct 22, 2003, at 5:43 pm, Hall Stevenson wrote:

At 11:59 AM 10/22/2003, you wrote:
Arg! I'm in the middle of recompiling my WHOLE kdelibs using -Os at the advice of another poster here.
I really would like a definitive answer here, and don't have the time for multiple recompilations myself.

When you do figure out which is the "best" flag to use, let us know if your system is truly noticeably faster. My money says you won't notice the difference. The compiled files will be bigger, but probably not faster (to a human).

It was the previous posters' contention that -O2 would not be noticeably faster than -Os, but would produce larger binaries & take far longer to compile. It was Mr Kenworthy's emphasis in the statement "-Os was by *FAR* the slowest" that suggested the difference might be noticeable.

As I posted within the last week, the laptop with which I am concerned is a PII 400 with only 64meg of RAM. More RAM for this proprietary form-factor sub-notebook might be argued to be prohibitively expensive, at $160 or so for 64meg. I think I'll probably have to bite the bullet, but I think that on this machine performance may be more noticeable than on most. Unfortunately compilations take far longer also. At present I am more interested in getting compilation to support prelinking, which I'm finding quite a confusing process, but since I have made several big recompiles in the last few days it would be nice to know that I'm using the optimal flags.

Stroller.