Vano Beridze wrote:
Hello

I have
AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM

I installed gentoo from stage 1 (took 1 day) with the following settings

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3"

What a surprise:

On the same machine with RedHat 9 (i386 packages)

NetBeans 3.5.1(sun jdk 1.4.2_02) runs faster.

What is the problem? Are my flags set incorrectly?

Through the use of benchmarks, users have recently been discovering that '-O3' can actually give you *slower* programs than '-O2'. While the code that is generated with '-O3' is more optimized, it is also larger, which in some/most cases, causes it not to fit into the processor cache which gives you a large performance hit. In general, I think the best flags for you would be '-march=athlon-xp -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer' or '-march=athlon-xp -Os -fomit-frame-pointer' where '-Os' is the same as '-O2' but it generates smaller binaries.

--
Andrew Gaffney