I feel it's best to keep updated. I ususally emerge sync once/day. Then I do emerge -uDp for system and world to see what it wants to update. If I like the list I let it do it, otherwise I pick and choose which ones to update. As for updating all config files you run etc-update, look at each and decide. Some obviously don't need updating (like /etc/fstab). Don't just tell etc-update to to them all unless you've checked what its going to do. Normally things don't break when you update - at least for me.

Ben Munat wrote:
How often should I emerge sync? How often should I update portage? I just did emerge sync and it tells me I should update portage -- from r19 to r20 -- and "update ALL of [my] configuration files". Should I emerge portage everytime there's a new version? Are these config files of which it speaks updated when I do etc-update? Do I need to emerge sync again after updating portage? How often should I emerge -u world or emerge -u system? Is it best to wait on these big updates until there are crucial changes... or maybe it'll be faster if I do it weekly? Can I look forward to things breaking when I emerge -u world or system?

Thanks,