On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:10:32 +0000
Aaron Hugh Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1.Doing an 'Emerge sync' once a day should be enough.
> 2.I usually update portage when ever there is a new version.
> 3.Yes the config files do get updated when you do etc-update.
> 4. No, you do not need to do an emerge sync after updating portage.
> 5.I usually do an 'emerge world' when I do 'emerge sync'.
> 6.It doesn't make much difference if you wait for big updates or not.
>
> Updating weekly would be good.
> 7.Wwather you break things or not depends on if you have
> 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86' set or not. But usually it's safe to do 'emerge
>
> world -u.

I prefer a different approach. It has prevented some level of grief
that I encountered before adapting this approach.  YMMV.

1. 'emerge sync' and 'emerge -pU world' frequently (sometimes daily,
sometimes weekly). Some of the packages marked unstable (~x86)
are really rock solid or necessary for a particular configuration, so I
usually have a few ~x86 packages emerged.  'U' instead of of'u' prevents
downgrading of these packages.

2. Study the output.  Check the changelogs if any questions arise.

3. Let updates age at least a week, then 'emerge portage' (if
there is a portage update waiting) and 'emerge -U world' or emerge the
individual packages. I have seen packages all too frequently marked
stable, then the unsuspecting discover the bugs that weren't tested, and
then the package gets masked. Early adapters get the bugs.

4. Upgrades to glibc, xfree, gcc, kde & gnome (for users who depend
on these) deserve special attention. It would be best to backup
your system before upgrading these.

5. If you know about a critical fix, go ahead with that at any time.

Good luck,

--
Collins