Yes, This is normal.

Hope This Helps

Aaron

On 01/04/04 22:25:57, Ben Munat wrote:
Thanks guys... just what I needed to know. One other question (it should probably be in a new thread but I'm hoping it's a quick answer): I've got that nifty little gkrellm thing going on my desktop now and my cpu (athlon 1400) usage is completely pegged while emerging. Is this normal? I suppose I wouldn't want it to not use 100% but take longer...

Aaron Hugh Brown wrote:

1.Doing an 'Emerge sync' once a day should be enough.
2.I usually update portage when ever there is a new version.
3.Yes the config files do get updated when you do etc-update.
4. No, you do not need to do an emerge sync after updating portage.
5.I usually do an 'emerge world' when I do 'emerge sync'.
6.It doesn't make much difference if you wait for big updates or not. Updating weekly would be good.
7.Wwather you break things or not depends on if you have 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86' set or not. But usually it's safe to do 'emerge world -u.

Hope This Helps

Aaron Brown