On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 02:04:16PM -0800, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ben Munat <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How often should I emerge sync?
I 'emerge --sync' in my daily cron. For me, that's about right. It keeps things fresh
without being obsessive. I remember reading (somewhere or another) that Gentoo admins
were getting annoyed at certain individuals who sync anywhere between several dozen
and a few hundred times a day.
> How often should I update portage?
Whenever there's an update available. If you have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~ARCH", you may
want to be a bit selective. You should *definitely* have the most recent stable
version installed.
> ..."update ALL of [my] configuration files".
That just means you need to run 'etc-update' when you're done to see if you need to
work anything in. That little informational message is a bit less than informational.

--
Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.