> From: Ben Munat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2004/01/04 Sun PM 05:04:16 EST
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [gentoo-user] emerge questions
>
> How often should I emerge sync?

Well, I don't think you need to do it more than once per day, Ben. Check the 'rsync
etiquette' guide on gentoo.org. I doubt you're running anything on a normal desktop
that requires daily rebuilding, but even if you do want to live so on the edge, just
sync once per day. It puts a heavy load on the servers. Sync nice. :)

> How often should I update portage?

Whenever an update is available. I haven't found that this happens so frequently to be
a bother.

> Do I need to emerge sync again after updating portage?

Nope. 'emerge sync' only updates your Portage tree. The chances of something changing
between your first emerge sync, your emerge -u portage, and then another emerge sync,
are infinitessimal at best.

> How often should I emerge -u world or emerge -u > system?

This is pretty much up to you. Do it whenever you like. Just don't cry when things
break if you run ~x86.

> Can I look forward to things breaking when I emerge -u world or system?

Perhaps, if you run ~x86 (as stated above) or if you do other silly things, like run
KDE while compiling glibc in one term window, gcc in another, xfree in a third, and
mozilla in a fourth. :)

> Thanks,

No problem.

Neuros.