Alex Nelson wrote:

Arne Vogel wrote:

William Kenworthy wrote:

There's lots of "use 2.6" messages here, but does anyone have a list of
what doesnt work/needs work list for general desktop machines before I
take the leap?

e.g, is older hardware supported (PIIX - since they removed the tuning
option from 2.4 this has been a disaster for me)
nvidia keeps cropping up

Well, 3D-Hardware-Acceleration will not work until NVIDIA provides an updated driver. Apart from that, the kernel-included "nv" driver seems to work without problems (tested on GeForce 5200FX).

I cannot get rp-pppoe (ADSL), version 3.5, running on 2.6, too. Seems like a change in a kernel interface broke it. Strangely enough, ADSL via SuSE's smpppd did continue to work (I switched to Gentoo only recently).

Update: I got it running, a kernel module for PPP over tty was missing (despite originally copying the 2.4.21 config to the 2.6.1 dir). Probably they renamed some config options which caused the module to "disappear".

snip

Ummmmmmm. I am running the latest NVIDIA drivers (5336-r1) on a FX5200 board with OpenGL and it runs just fine. In fact, it runs America's Army faster and with higher framerates than the same hardware under Windows. Yes it does taint the kernel, but I am fine with that for the performance. The biggest issue I have with 2.6.x is the problem with using KVM's. I have to plug my mouse directly into my desktop for the mouse to work correctly with the 2.6.x kernels. Sound and performance have been great otherwise. As with anything else, use caution when making the switch. Keep a copy of your current kernel around until you are sure that 2.6.x is for you. Good luck!!

Ok thanks! I previously tried to install 5328 for kernel 2.6.1 and it refused to install the kernel module. I now got 5336, and it works, except that KDE doesn't start (undefined symbol in /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1). GNOME and America's Army do work. Probably some library was linked against a previous version of libGLcore; I'm trying an emerge kdelibs now.

If this works, I'm going to make 2.6.1 my default kernel!