On Wednesday 12 January 2005 04:12 am, "Charlie Gehlin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I disagree, when dealing with a ~x86-package it might have
> deep-dependencies that is also in ~x86.

Better to be informed about what unstable packages are being installed than
accept them automatically with any other (possibly stable) dependencies.

So, use package.keywords.

Also, environment variables from the command line are easily forgotten (or
may be contradictory) so are not easily used with an emerge -uD --newuse
world.  Once you've used environement variables on the command line, this
might downgrade packages or remove use flags in breaking ways.  To keep
the system maintained you have to edit the package.{use,keywords} files
anyway.

So, /use package.keywords/.

> I also disagree on package.keywords since it's better to
> test if emerge goes well and that module actually works
> before making any static changes regarding keywords
> or even USE- & FEATURES-flags for that matter.

I disagree.  When testing it is better to minimize the changes you make to
the system.  When using environment variables on the command-line, you
change how portage looks at *every* package during the install.  If you
modify package.use or package.keywords your changes are limited to that
package only.

So, *use package.keywords*.

I suppose environment variable on the command-line could be useful for a -p
(--pretend) emerge, but not very since for any real emerge you'd want to
use package.{use,keywords} and the results will be different.

FEATURES is different, because it always affects all packages (unless
they've added a package.features I don't know about) so it is safe to
specify on the command line.

In short, you should always use package.{use,keywords} instead of the
corresponding environment variable on the command-line for 4 simple
reasons:
1. Changes are minimized. [single package vs. all packages]
2. Changes are publicized. [you can easily view the files]
3. Changes are persisted. [emerge -uD --newuse world picks up on them]
4. Changes are verified. [As a corallary to (1) and (2), you will know what
packages you've changed and how]

So, USE PACKAGE.KEYWORDS!

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.