050518 Grant wrote:
> Out of curiosity, who here would say they have experienced
> any type of emotional discrimination because they use Gentoo?

no, except occasionally on Gentoo mailing-lists (grin).

> I find this in correspondence with other Linux people sometimes.
> Is Gentoo far enough "out there" to warrant this type of attitude?

Gentoo is different, but not "out there", if i understand what you mean.

> It seems like these people are conservatives
> unwilling to roll with the changes to me.

i've been a bit surprised by how far U Toronto people have been tolerant
when i've told them "i don't do Windows: i use Linux".
yes, Canada is a big place with room for everyone, if you don't hurt others,
but these are people who use M$ out of habit or without thinking.

Gentoo is for people who want to have a real 'My Computer',
not something owned by the guy in Redmond or NC or some place.
i don't even do the approved 'emerge world' in maintaining my system
& i rely on a home-made list of packages i've installed,
but i have real control over what is on my hard drive.

i don't have to wait  6 mth  for the new version of KDE or OO ,
i don't have to dodge appeals for money from profit-making Mandrivel,
i'm not presented with the corporate logo plastered all over my screen,
i don't have someone else doing my thinking for me.

Gentoo is not for the masses, but it is for anyone with the time to spare
to manage their own computer in the way which suits them best.

so definitely, thanx to the devs who make it all happen (big smile).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]