Apparently, though unproven, at 09:38 on Thursday 04 November 2010, Mick did
opine thusly:

> PS.  Another thing I noticed with the WinXP setup is that the
> application windows seem to be screen aware.  On the left monitor they
> will maximise only to cover fully the left hand screen not the right
> hand. The same happens when maximising an application window on the
> right.  I don't remember seeing this in Linux - applications I think
> maximised across both screens.

nvidia-drivers does this by default with Twinview.

Those drivers rip out vast sections of the OpenGL libs and who knows what
else, replacing it with an NVidia version. Lots of their code is in the core,
intended to be used cross-platform, which probably explains the default
behaviour being the same as on windows.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com