Thank you all for your pointers!  It works (almost) with
xorg-server-1.9.2.  More questions below ...

On 6 November 2010 09:57, YoYo Siska <y...@gl.ksp.sk> wrote:

> You can read more about xrandr at http://www.x.org/wiki/Projects/XRandR
>
> For your last question: right now, yes. The drivers are changing... But
> hopefully, they will get to a state, when they will report everything
> corectly and you should not need to set anything... ;))

With the xorg-server-1.9.2 and a different kernel driver it now
recognises much more real estate:

$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3200 x 1080, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 359mm x 287mm
   1280x1024      75.0*+   60.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       85.0     75.1     70.1     60.0
   832x624        74.6
   800x600        85.1     72.2     75.0     60.3     56.2
   640x480        85.0     72.8     75.0     66.7     60.0
   720x400        70.1
DVI-0 connected 1920x1080+1280+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 509mm x 286mm
   1920x1080      60.0*+
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

As you can see the maximum size has now grown to 4906 x 4096 which
allows me to have the two monitors set up as intended with space to
spare!  :-)

No need to define virtual screen size in the xorg.conf, which I
generated using the vanilla X -configure output.  I have not added a
second screen or anything else.  The -configure script seems to have
only included my small monitor on the left and it does not mention at
all the new DVI.  So, I suspect that all the hard work is performed by
the kernel hardware driver ...

Which brings me to the changes I had to perform on the kernel.  The
only combination that would allow the above to work involved
rebuilding the kernel with CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y

This caused its own problems - I could not get a framebuffer working
during boot and afterwards I could not get a kdm Display Manager
showing up.  It dropped me back to console.  Ctrl+Alt+F7 was not
advisable as it locked the machine up, as did restarting xdm.  The
solution was to remove uvesa framebuffer from my kernel and also
remove the following lines from my grub.conf:

#video=uvesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1024x768...@64
splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1

Now I get a framebuffer with all my boot messages, but do not get a
pretty framebuffer splash or whatever you call it these days.

The second problem is that although the screen settings can be applied
and take without any problem, they are not retained if I log
out/reboot.

So, two questions remain:

1.  Is there a way of setting up a framebuffer splash with a progress
bar and a background image in non-verbose mode when using the new KMS
kernel option?

2.  How can I save the screen settings so that they persist between
boots?  I found a script mentioning setting up a configuration file in
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45custom_xrandr-settings:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2#Now_automate_it_on_login

but I am not sure if this is a Gentoo compatible way (have not tried it yet).
--
Regards,
Mick