On Friday 05 November 2010 11:11:04 YoYo Siska wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 11:08:23PM +0000, Mick wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 November 2010 21:36:46 Florian Philipp wrote:
> > > Am 04.11.2010 21:17, schrieb Mick:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Hmm, do you still have an xorg.conf file or changed settings in
> > > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d? If you have, can you post it please?
> > >
> > > I think it is related to the
> > > 'SubSection "Device"
> > >
> > >   Virtual xdim ydim'
> > >
> > > setting but I'm not sure. In any case, if I were you, I'd try running
> > > without any xorg.conf and see whether auto-configuration can handle it.
> > > Oh, and if you are still on x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.*, please try
> > > x11-base/xorg-server-1.8.2 with USE="udev -hal"
> >
> > Thanks again Florian,
> >
> > I do not have an xorg.conf.  I am running x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.7-r1.
> > I have been waiting on 1.8.2 to go stable.
> >
> > Googling around I suspect I know what the error is:
> >
> > $ xrandr -q
> > Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1920 x 1920
> >
> > is telling me that my ATI X600 can only do a max of 1920 x 1920.  Above
> > that I will need to set up a virtual screen (and it won't be able to do
> > dri).
> >
> > Without an xorg.conf file it is failing because it is not given a virtual
> > screen to expand its physical capability beyond 1920x1920.  Any idea if I
> > can set up a virtual screen using the .fdi files?
>
> Intel drivers (for my thinkpad notebook) had a similar problem. If you
> didn't use an xorg.conf, they would set up the max screen size to the
> maximum possible resolution on one of the monitors... I haven't found a
> way to change that without an xorg.conf... (didn't have much motivation
> as I just always used an xorg.conf, event with hal... and I'm on ~arch,
> so its not much of an issue now...)
>
> yoyo
>

> PS right now, the current intel driver I have seems to have a hard maximum
> of 2048x2048 on my card, though I remember going above that in the
> past... ;((

(I was wondering how come MSWindows works fine - not sure if it uses virtual
screens ...)

Are you saying that the maximum mode of the video card is determined by the
driver?  Two different ati cards here, both show 1920x1920 as the maximum.
The card I am having this problem with has 256M memory.  The other has 1G
memory (in MSWindows) while Gentoo only shows:

        Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
        Memory at cfef0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at cfe00000 [disabled] [size=128K]

If the maximum mode available changes with the driver version, does this mean
that one day I need to set up a virtual screen size and next day the driver is
updated and virtual screen is no longer required?
--
Regards,
Mick