On Saturday 06 November 2010 13:32:53 you wrote:

> So, two questions remain:
>
> 1.  Is there a way of setting up a framebuffer splash with a progress
> bar and a background image in non-verbose mode when using the new KMS
> kernel option?

The solution to this problem was to uninstall the uvesa module, and change the
stanza in grub.conf from this:

kernel /kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/sda3
video=uvesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x1024...@64 splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence
quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1

to this:

kernel /kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/sda3
video=uvesafb:mode_option=1280x1024-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap,splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence

quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1

Strangely enough it works without crashing now and it doesn't seem to mind the
video=uvesafb: entry although uvesa is no longer in my kernel.  The splash
screen only covers part of the wide screen monitor on the right (i.e. it does
not stretch across it's whole width).  The smaller left hand side monitor
shows the splash full size.  The only glitch seems to be that it drops me back
to the console, after I enter the passwd in kdm.  I had this problem in the
past (for years) and after some update it just went away.  With this set up it
seems to be back ...

> 2.  How can I save the screen settings so that they persist between
> boots?  I found a script mentioning setting up a configuration file in
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45custom_xrandr-settings:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2#Now_automate_it_on_login
>
> but I am not sure if this is a Gentoo compatible way (have not tried it
> yet).

No need to use any other configuration file, now that I am using an xorg.conf.
All I did was to define the second monitor, after I had a quick look for its
values as probed from EDID in Xorg.0.log:
Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      360   290     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "NEC"
        ModelName    "NEC LCD1860NX"
        HorizSync    31.0 - 82.0
        VertRefresh  55.0 - 85.0
        Option       "PreferredMode"  "1280x1024"
        Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      510   290     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        VendorName   "DEL"
        ModelName    "DELL ST2320L"
        HorizSync    56.0 - 76.0
        VertRefresh  30.0 - 83.0
        Option       "PreferredMode"  "1920x1080"
        Option       "RightOf" "Monitor0"
        Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Then under Section "Device" I added the two monitors as follows:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"