On Monday 08 November 2010 11:43:00 Sebastian Beßler wrote:
> Am 07.11.2010 21:19, schrieb Mick:
> > The splash screen only covers part of the wide screen monitor on the
> > right (i.e. it does not stretch across it's whole width).  The
> > smaller left hand side monitor shows the splash full size.
>
> That is a quirk(?) in kernel mode setting (kms) because it can only set
> the output to clone-mode when used with two or more monitors. Because of
> that it has to find the lowest common denominator for the resolution to
> use on all of them.

Ah! That explains it.  With two monitors of the same size then, it would be
full size on both.

After all this the user asked me to take off the splash screen!  :-@

It seems that after xdm/kdm has launched the kdm login is interrupted and the
user is dumped into a console.  This seems to happen at the time the init
scripts obtain an IP address (or when vixie cron is launched). Nothing in the
logs to show anything being amiss.

If I do not use a splash screen the user is not returned to the console.  Not
sure if there's a fix for this.

--
Regards,
Mick