110210 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> glibc is problematic, it's tentacles run very deep in any GNU system,
> it has a less than stellar history in terms of breaking gentoo systems,
> mostly due to inadequate testing before releasing to ~arch.
> it's v difficult to downgrade it due to that hidden barf check in the ebuild.
> I'd support a portage feature-request:
> automatic binpkgs of a sub-set of @system
> that the user must opt-out of in make.conf:
> python, portage, glibc, gcc, maybe a few others
> What say you all?

I avoid such problems by  2  simple precautions:
(1) I never use testing versions of system pkgs like Glibc &
(2) I have  FEATURES="buildsyspkg"  in  make.conf .
Beyond those, I'ld say Gentoo users are grown-ups who don't need coddling.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca