On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 01:48:18 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> And it's very difficult to downgrade it due to that hidden barf check
> in the ebuild. I have yet to find a supported, documented way to back
> out of glibc screw-ups; my way is to keep binpkgs of @system and use
> those.

The trouble is that binpkgs keep a copy of the ebuild in them, so even if
you remove the downgrade check fro the in-tree ebuild, it still fails.
That one had me scratching my head for a few minutes.

The thing is, a downgrade like that one is not a problem, especially if
done soon after the upgrade. The problems arise when you build other
packages against the later glibc and then downgrade.

We need a more intelligent test and we need a way of circumventing the
restriction that doesn't involve editing the ebuild, something like

I_KNOW_ITS_DODGY_BUT_IM_DESPERATE=true emerge \<sys-libs/glibc-2.13

--
Neil Bothwick

Famed tautologist dies of suicide in distressing tragedy