Apparently, though unproven, at 00:23 on Thursday 10 February 2011, Nils
Holland did opine thusly:

> On 13:34 Mon 07 Feb     , Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > Don't install glibc-2.13 if you either use prelinking or run postfix.
> > After testing it on my netbook, which uses neither, I installed it on my
> > desktop and home server and broke both.
>
> Thanks a lot, I've read your mail just in time. Actually, glibc 2.13
> krept onto my first machine Monday night - I generally test new
> versions of such "far reaching" stuff as glibc on a single machine
> first before letting to onto all of my boxes. I didn't have any
> problems with the new glibc, and tonight I would have updated a few
> additional machines, one of which happens to run Postfix. I guess I'm
> going to delay that a bit now. ;-)

This raises an interesting point.

glibc is a problematic package, it's tentacles run very deep in any GNU
system, it has a less than stellar history in terms of breaking gentoo systems
(mostly due to inadequate testing before releasing to ~arch)

And it's very difficult to downgrade it due to that hidden barf check in the
ebuild. I have yet to find a supported, documented way to back out of glibc
screw-ups; my way is to keep binpkgs of @system and use those.

Yes it's true that downgrading glibc is often a sure road to suicide, but the
current method is also unworkable. Surely, surely, there's a better way?

I'd even go so far as to support a portage feature-request: automatic binpkgs
of a sub-set of @system that the user must opt-out of in make.conf: python,
portage, glibc, gcc, maybe a few other highly critical packages.

What say you all?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com