Dale,

>> I have ran into a issue here.  I copied everything over to sdb, my temp
>> drive.  When I try to boot it, it still boots from sda which is the
>> primary drive.  I can not get it to boot from the copy.  I did update
>> the fstab file to point to the new sdb partitions, I use labels for that
>> and they have different names.  I also edited grub and told it root was
>> sdb2.  When I boot, everything mounted is sda.
>>
>> Those are from the copy.  Here is grub:
>>
>> title=Initramfs-new_drive
>> root (hd0,0)
>> kernel /bzImage-3.3.1-1 root=/dev/sdb2 init=/sbin/init nox
>> initrd /initramfs-3.3.1-1-tmp.img

if you want to boot from /dev/sdb, why do you tell grub
to use (hd0,0), which usually maps to /dev/sda1?

I'd expect to see root (hd1,0) in there somewhere.

Depending on boot flags and BIOS settings, you might still
be using the MBR on /dev/sda.

When I migrated a client's data over to a new disk a while
ago, I basically used "tar cf - /sda | tar xf - -C /sdb" and
then switched SATA cables before rebooting. The former /dev/sdb
became /dev/sda and everything was fine.

s.

--
Stefan Schmiedl
EDV-Beratung Schmiedl, Berghangstr. 5, D-93413 Cham

"This is why Science and Mathematics are still much fun:
You discover things that seem impossible to be true
and then get to figure out why it's impossible for them not to be."

            -- Vi Hart: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant, Part 3