Dale,

Saturday, April 14, 2012, 5:46:44 AM, you wrote:

D> Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
>> I'd expect to see root (hd1,0) in there somewhere.

D> I tried changing the root line and it still booted sda.  Also, note that
D> I also tried a grub entry that doesn't even have a root line.  It just
D> points directly to sdb.

D>From what I have always been told, the root line points to grub not the
D> root partition of the OS.  Those are two different things.  Correct me
D> if I am wrong here.  That's the way I have always been told.

That is correct, "root (hdx,y)" points to partition y on drive x, where
the kernel is to be found, i.e. the root path for the "kernel" line.
The kernel uses its root=/dev/whatever to set up the root for the linux
environment.

D> I'm using grub legacy here.

me too. And the last time I tried, changing the root line made grub boot
from the other disk. Have you tried editing this line in grub's editor
during boot?

s.