On 2013-08-11 12:03 PM, Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:
When in doubt, read the man page (make.conf(5)):

"[...]
DESCRIPTION
        This  file  contains various variables that are used by Portage.
Portage will check
        the currently-defined environment variables first for any settings.  If
no  environā€
        ment   settings   are   found,   Portage  then  checks  the  make.conf
files.  Both
        /etc/make.conf and /etc/portage/make.conf are checked  (if  present),
and  settings
        from  /etc/portage/make.conf will override settings from /etc/make.conf.
[...]"

Thanks... my point was more that the news item didn't explain this - also, this answers as to make.conf, but what about make.profile?

I just don't like being forced to assume, or 'test for myself', when it could be made crystal clear in the news item/docs.

Also, would

~ cd /etc/portage
~ ln -s make.profile ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/13.0

Be the right way to create the make.profile symlink in the new location?

Not sure why the two preceeding dots are there in the current one in /etc, but they are...

On 2013-08-11 12:16 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My question is why do you have files in both locations?

I don't... I was getting ready to change these, and was just asking the question... ;)