Am Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:48:44 -0400
schrieb Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org>:

> On 2013-08-11 12:03 PM, Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > When in doubt, read the man page (make.conf(5)):
> >
> > "[...]
> > DESCRIPTION
> >         This  file  contains various variables that are used by Portage.
> > Portage will check
> >         the currently-defined environment variables first for any settings.
> >  If no  environā€
> >         ment   settings   are   found,   Portage  then  checks  the
> > make.conf  files.  Both
> >         /etc/make.conf and /etc/portage/make.conf are checked  (if
> > present),  and  settings
> >         from  /etc/portage/make.conf will override settings from
> > /etc/make.conf. [...]"
>
> Thanks... my point was more that the news item didn't explain this -
> also, this answers as to make.conf, but what about make.profile?

portage(5) says:

  "If both /etc/portage/make.profile/ and /etc/make.profile/ exist,
  then /etc/portage/make.profile/ will be preferred."

> I just don't like being forced to assume, or 'test for myself', when it
> could be made crystal clear in the news item/docs.

Yes, I agree that that might perhaps have been nice to mention it in the news
item (although IMHO that's the sort of information the man pages are there
for), but it *is* crystal clear in the docs, or do you not count the man pages
to the docs?

> Also, would
>
> ~ cd /etc/portage
> ~ ln -s make.profile ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/13.0
>
> Be the right way to create the make.profile symlink in the new location?

AFAIK eselect profile uses the new location, but I don't remember how precisely
I moved it (not that it matters).

> Not sure why the two preceeding dots are there in the current one in
> /etc, but they are...

The current location is /etc/make.conf, right? Then ../usr/[...] will resolve
to /usr/[...], whereas your ln command above will resolve to /etc/usr/[...],
which is, erm, wrong :) .

[...]

HTH
--