James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I have my lxde/openbox environment mostly setup. One thing I miss
> is feature rich tabbed terminal session.

I suggest that you try tmux (or screen) - this is far superiour to
multitab since you can easily also put it to the background or
access it remotely.
My default zsh login files start a tmux session automatically
(so did my previous bash login files with screen, but I do not
use bash anymore for an interactive shell).

> the tabs where customizable to show current dir or rename manually.
> When I would "ssh" into a remote system, the IP address was prominently
> displayed in the tab header; essential for managing tons of remote
> devices.

This is all a question of setting an appropriate prompt which also
sets the terminal title correspondingly. I suggest that you
have a look at e.g. app-shells/set_prompt from the mv overlay.

> One last problem is my lxtermnal session do not remember their previous
> screen location or size (geometry)

Probably for every terminal program there are corresponding Xresources.
For instance, for xterm, I have set
   XTerm.VT100.Geometry: 80x25
Alternatively you can specify -geometry on the command line.
Probably it is possible to write something which saves the current
geometry somewhere. I find this always disturbing, and one of my
first configuration fixes in KDE (when I was still using it)
had always been to turn off this misfeature...

> I would encourage any and all without tons of
> free ram, to ditch KDE (dunno about gnome).......

++