Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 01/07/2014 11:48, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> Hell list,
>>
>> I don't know when it started, but recently I've been getting error e-mails
>> from cron, thus:
>>
>> Password: 501 Not authorised --- Reply not authenticated
>>
>> They're all timed at 03:10:0x, i.e. one minute after cron.daily tasks are
>> run,
>> and they occur at 7- or 8-day intervals. The only files in /etc/cron.daily
>> are
>> logrotate and man-db, neither of which I've touched.
>>
>> I've been expiring that e-mail folder at 30 days, so I have only four
>> instances - I've now set the lifetime to 366 days to allow a history to
>> build
>> up.
>>
>> Anyone have a clue to this? It's hardly earth-shattering, but it might be
>> good
>> to find out what's going on.
>>

> the error looks like an http error.
> Got any crons running wget, curl or lynx?

As many may recall, I set my system to do emails recently too.  I also
started getting this error.  The subject line is this:

Cron <root@fireball> test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-c

Content of email is same as the OP posted.  I'm hoping that the subject
line will shed some light on this.  It seem cron at least triggers a
error of some sort.

Dale

:-)  :-)