Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:
>> Please try this: Go the PC that keeps getting these messages in its
>> logs. Run: $ chrony chronyc> password password:
>> <manually_enter_your_chrony_Passwd> If the passwd is wrong, or some
>> characters are incompatible with the terminal, then you will get:
>> "Password: 501 Not authorised --- Reply not authenticated" You can
>> test this by entering the wrong passwd initially. Unfortunately, I no
>> longer have the PC running chrony to test it here.
> Since I'm having the same issue:
>
> root@fireball / # chronyc password
> Password:
> 501 Not authorised --- Reply not authenticated
> root@fireball / #
>
> So, that answers that question. It seems a password needs to be set here.
>
> < scratches head >
>
> It also seems we have the default setup and we all get this error at the
> same time.  I got mine just a bit ago.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Update.  This *SEEMS* to make it happy.

/etc/chrony/chrony.keys

Make it look something like this:

1 testchrony
2 MD5 HEX:B028F91EA5D93D06C2E140B26C7F41EC
3 SHA1 HEX:1DC764E07B1911FA67EFC7ECBC4B0D73F68A070C

The password is behind #1.  You also need this file set up too.

/etc/chrony/chrony.conf

This is the key part:

# Tell chronyd which numbered key in the file is used as the password
# for chronyc. (You can pick any integer up to 2**32-1.  '1' is just a
# default.  Using another value will _NOT_ increase security.)

commandkey 1

Should be able to just uncomment the thing.  Restart chrony, or I guess
you could tell it to reload the config, then test again.

root@fireball / # chronyc password
Password:
200 OK
root@fireball / #

Now let's see if I get a email with a error next week.  o_O

Dale

:-)  :-)