On Sunday 13 Jul 2014 10:20:47 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 July 2014 15:01:33 I wrote:

> > > Only to confirm that I have been getting these on an old 32bit laptop.
> > > I suspect that they are caused by chrony which I run on this PC and
> > > some passwd setup that chronyc requires to connect to the timeservers
> > > and update
> > > RTC et al, via chronyd.  I have not looked into configuring it beyond a
> > > rather superficial "it'll do for now" level and have not yet added any
> > > chrony.keys. When I get a moment I will revisit the configuration to
> > > add the required key, but will need to spend some time going through
> > > the man pages first.
> >
> > I was beginning to think I was the only one still running chrony :)
> >
> > My chrony does have a key set up, so I don't think that's the cause. Now
> > that you remind me, I changed the setup on 31/5. The Atom LAN server has
> > an appalling hardware clock, so I changed things around so that both the
> > Atom and this box synchronise over the Internet, and they peer with each
> > other.
> >
> > Maybe I should split them apart to make them independent. I'll watch them
> > for a while first though, to see if a pattern emerges.
> >
> > Thanks for the idea Mick.
>
> Well, a week ago I did split the two chronys (the one on the server and the
> one on the workstation), but I got another mail at 03:10:05 today. So I
> guess that isn't it.

Please try this:

Go the PC that keeps getting these messages in its logs.  Run:

$ chrony

chronyc> password
password: <manually_enter_your_chrony_Passwd>

If the passwd is wrong, or some characters are incompatible with the terminal,
then you will get:

"Password: 501 Not authorised --- Reply not authenticated"

You can test this by entering the wrong passwd initially.  Unfortunately, I no
longer have the PC running chrony to test it here.

--
Regards,
Mick