On 21/12/18 5:37 am, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2018-12-20, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think it would help.  It's the speed that is the problem. It was
>> almost impossible to read anything with my old CPU. It's nothing but a
>> blur with this new one.  Mostly, I saw red letters and what looked like
>> the word "error".
>>
>> If it will log the error, that is best because I can copy and paste it
>> into a search engine and find out what it means and how to fix it, if I
>> don't figure it out on my own.  May help someone else reading this tho.  ;-)
> With most more modern motherboards this is probably not an option, but
> when I'm troubleshooting that sort of thing, I tell the kernel to use
> a serial console. I connect something to the serial port that logs the
> data to a file (usually a second Linux machine running C-Kermit, but
> there are untold other options), and Bob's your uncle.
>
> With GRUB, you can usually hit <some character> to stop autoboot, then
> <some other character> to edit the default boot options to add the
> "console=" incantation.
>
> If you really want to geek out, you can configure GRUB to use the
> serial console also (but that's not really needed for your situation).
>
> So far, I've been able to avoid buying a motherboard without at least
> one plain-old-UART on it.  These days you usually have to provide your
> own ribbon-cable-DB9 bracket, but it's still a lifesaver for obscure
> kernel problems.
>
> Another option is 'netconsole':
>
>    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netconsole
>
> It doesn't kick in as early as a serial-console does, but it it might
> be early enough if the NIC driver and netconsole drivers are compiled
> into the kernel as opposed to being a loadable module.

Tried this? /etc/rc.conf

# rc_logger launches a logging daemon to log the entire rc process to
# /var/log/rc.log
# NOTE: Linux systems require the devfs service to be started before
# logging can take place and as such cannot log the sysinit runlevel.
rc_logger="YES"

# Through rc_log_path you can specify a custom log file.
# The default value is: /var/log/rc.log
rc_log_path="/var/log/rc.log"

BillK