Wols Lists wrote:
> On 02/06/2024 06:38, Dale wrote:
>> My plan is the CPU above for now.  Later, I will upgrade to the Ryzen 9
>> 7900X to get even more speed.  I'll also max the memory out too.  I'm
>> unclear on the max memory tho.  One place shows 128GB, hence two 32GB
>> sticks.
>
> Go on the manufacturer's website, find the mobo, and download the
> manual from the support page.
>
> The other thing is, if you know the chipset (it should say), see what
> other mobos with the same chipset can do.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Got the manual.  It says 128GB.  That sounds more like what I was
expecting anyway.  I kinda thought 256GB was a bit much.  That's why I
picked two 32GB sticks.  128GB is four times what I have now so it
should be enough for a while.

I thought of something on the m.2 thing.  I plan to put my OS on it.  I
usually use tmpfs and compile in memory anyway but do have some set to
use spinning rust. Once I get 128GB installed, I should be able to do
that with all packages anyway but still, I had a question.  Should I put
the portage work directory on a spinning rust drive to save wear and
tear on the SSD or have they got to the point now that doesn't matter
anymore?  I know all the SSD devices have improved a lot since the first
ones came out.

Is the Gentoo wiki page for SSD the best way to set up a m.2 thing?  I
know they different from spinning rust.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SSD

I'm going to give it a little while longer before ordering any of this.
So far, no one has posted that something just won't work or came up with
a better mobo.  I was hoping on that last point.  I was pretty sure I
picked the right CPU and memory tho.  I got the info from the ASUS
website after all.

Thanks to all who look and see if my build works together.  I'd hate to
make a mistake that costs me several hundred dollars.  O_O

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I reported the memory error to Newegg, where it claims 256GB.