On Sunday, 2 June 2024 16:11:38 BST Dale wrote:

> My plan, given it is a 1TB, use maybe 300GBs of it.  Leave the rest
> blank.  Have the /boot, EFI directory, root and maybe put /var on a
> separate partition.  I figure for the boot stuff, 3GBs would be plenty
> for all combined.  Make them large so they can grow.  Make root, which
> would include /usr, say 150GBs.  /var can be around 10GBs.  My current
> OS is on a 160GB drive.  I wish I could get the nerve up to use LVM on
> everything except the boot stuff, /boot and the EFI stuff.  If I make
> them like above, I should be good for a long time.  Could go much larger
> tho.  Could use maybe 700GBs of it.  I assume it would use the unused
> part if needed.  I still don't know a lot about those things.  Mostly
> what I see posted on this list really.

Doesn't everyone mount /tmp and /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs these days? I use
hard disk for a few large packages, but I'm not convinced it's needed - except
when running an emerge -e, that is, when they can get in the way of lots of
others. That's why, some months ago, I suggested introducing an ability to
mark some packages for compilation solitarily. (Is that a word?)

Here's the output of parted -l on my main NVMe disk in case it helps:

Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme1n1: 250GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name      Flags
 1      1049kB  135MB   134MB
 2      135MB   4296MB  4161MB  fat32           boot      boot, esp
 3      4296MB  12.9GB  8590MB  linux-swap(v1)  swap1     swap
 4      12.9GB  34.4GB  21.5GB  ext4            rescue
 5      34.4GB  60.1GB  25.8GB  ext4            root
 6      60.1GB  112GB   51.5GB  ext4            var
 7      112GB   114GB   2147MB  ext4            local
 8      114GB   140GB   25.8GB  ext4            home
 9      140GB   183GB   42.9GB  ext4            common

The common partition is mounted under my home directory, to keep everything
I'd want to preserve if I made myself a new user account. It's v. useful, too.

> P. S.  After I do the CPU upgrade, I'll have a spare CPU.  Then I'll
> need another mobo, and memory set so that I can put that CPU to use.  No
> need it sitting around on a shelf right???  ROFL

Welcome to baggage reclaim...    :)

--
Regards,
Peter.