Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Sunday, 2 June 2024 16:11:38 BST Dale wrote:
>
>> My plan, given it is a 1TB, use maybe 300GBs of it.  Leave the rest
>> blank.  Have the /boot, EFI directory, root and maybe put /var on a
>> separate partition.  I figure for the boot stuff, 3GBs would be plenty
>> for all combined.  Make them large so they can grow.  Make root, which
>> would include /usr, say 150GBs.  /var can be around 10GBs.  My current
>> OS is on a 160GB drive.  I wish I could get the nerve up to use LVM on
>> everything except the boot stuff, /boot and the EFI stuff.  If I make
>> them like above, I should be good for a long time.  Could go much larger
>> tho.  Could use maybe 700GBs of it.  I assume it would use the unused
>> part if needed.  I still don't know a lot about those things.  Mostly
>> what I see posted on this list really.
> Doesn't everyone mount /tmp and /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs these days? I use
> hard disk for a few large packages, but I'm not convinced it's needed -
> except
> when running an emerge -e, that is, when they can get in the way of lots of
> others. That's why, some months ago, I suggested introducing an ability to
> mark some packages for compilation solitarily. (Is that a word?)
>
> Here's the output of parted -l on my main NVMe disk in case it helps:
>
> Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB (nvme)
> Disk /dev/nvme1n1: 250GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: gpt
> Disk Flags:
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name      Flags
>  1      1049kB  135MB   134MB
>  2      135MB   4296MB  4161MB  fat32           boot      boot, esp
>  3      4296MB  12.9GB  8590MB  linux-swap(v1)  swap1     swap
>  4      12.9GB  34.4GB  21.5GB  ext4            rescue
>  5      34.4GB  60.1GB  25.8GB  ext4            root
>  6      60.1GB  112GB   51.5GB  ext4            var
>  7      112GB   114GB   2147MB  ext4            local
>  8      114GB   140GB   25.8GB  ext4            home
>  9      140GB   183GB   42.9GB  ext4            common
>
> The common partition is mounted under my home directory, to keep everything
> I'd want to preserve if I made myself a new user account. It's v. useful, too.

I'm starting the process here.  I'm trying to follow the install guide
but this is still not clear to me and the guide is not helping.  In your
list above, is #2 where /boot is mounted?  Is that where I put kernels,
init thingys, memtest and other images to boot from?

My current layout for a 1TB m.2 stick, typing by hand:

1    8GB        EFI System
2    400GB    Linux file system for root or /.
3    180GB    Linux file system for /var.

I'll have /home and such on other drives, spinning rust. I'm just
wanting to be sure if my #1 and your #2 is where boot files go, Grub,
kernels, init thingys etc.  I've always had kernels and such on ext2 but
understand efi requires fat32.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)