Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Sunday, 2 June 2024 16:11:38 BST Dale wrote:
>
>> My plan, given it is a 1TB, use maybe 300GBs of it.  Leave the rest
>> blank.  Have the /boot, EFI directory, root and maybe put /var on a
>> separate partition.  I figure for the boot stuff, 3GBs would be plenty
>> for all combined.  Make them large so they can grow.  Make root, which
>> would include /usr, say 150GBs.  /var can be around 10GBs.  My current
>> OS is on a 160GB drive.  I wish I could get the nerve up to use LVM on
>> everything except the boot stuff, /boot and the EFI stuff.  If I make
>> them like above, I should be good for a long time.  Could go much larger
>> tho.  Could use maybe 700GBs of it.  I assume it would use the unused
>> part if needed.  I still don't know a lot about those things.  Mostly
>> what I see posted on this list really.
> Doesn't everyone mount /tmp and /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs these days? I use
> hard disk for a few large packages, but I'm not convinced it's needed -
> except
> when running an emerge -e, that is, when they can get in the way of lots of
> others. That's why, some months ago, I suggested introducing an ability to
> mark some packages for compilation solitarily. (Is that a word?)
>
> Here's the output of parted -l on my main NVMe disk in case it helps:
>
> Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB (nvme)
> Disk /dev/nvme1n1: 250GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: gpt
> Disk Flags:
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name      Flags
>  1      1049kB  135MB   134MB
>  2      135MB   4296MB  4161MB  fat32           boot      boot, esp
>  3      4296MB  12.9GB  8590MB  linux-swap(v1)  swap1     swap
>  4      12.9GB  34.4GB  21.5GB  ext4            rescue
>  5      34.4GB  60.1GB  25.8GB  ext4            root
>  6      60.1GB  112GB   51.5GB  ext4            var
>  7      112GB   114GB   2147MB  ext4            local
>  8      114GB   140GB   25.8GB  ext4            home
>  9      140GB   183GB   42.9GB  ext4            common
>
> The common partition is mounted under my home directory, to keep everything
> I'd want to preserve if I made myself a new user account. It's v. useful, too.
>
>> P. S.  After I do the CPU upgrade, I'll have a spare CPU.  Then I'll
>> need another mobo, and memory set so that I can put that CPU to use.  No
>> need it sitting around on a shelf right???  ROFL
> Welcome to baggage reclaim...    :)

I do tmpfs for everything except Seamonkey Firefox, LOo and that qtweb
package.  Those are set to use spinning rust.  It makes them slower but
quite often, they end up being compiled together in some combination.  I
could likely do it if it was just one but not two or more.

I to would like a list of packages that we can set to be compiled on
their own.  For example.  Seamonkey pops up to be compiled.  LOo or some
other package is also ready to be compiled.  We can have a list that
tells emerge to wait on LOo until Seamonkey is done.  Once Seamonkey is
finished, then it starts LOo.  Other packages can be done the same way.

I mentioned this once before some time ago on this mailing list.  It
seems doable since emerge can already be told that certain packages
can't be compiled until some other dependency is done first.  It seems
to me it could be a side item to that.  It's just that we can configure
it outside of the ebuild where the other is usually done inside the
ebuild.

The info you provided is interesting.  Your drive is a little larger
than my current one.  The one on the new rig is going to be even
larger.  I'm certainly going to make /boot larger, for things like
memtest, maybe a rescue image or two.  I made root plenty large last
time but plan to do things different this time.  Even tho things will
change and likely make me wish I did it differently.  This is my current
setup.

root@fireball / # lvs
  LV      VG       Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log
Cpy%Sync Convert
  swap    OS       -wi-ao----
12.00g
  usr     OS       -wi-ao----
39.06g
  var     OS       -wi-ao----  52.00g

root@fireball / # df -h | grep sda
Filesystem                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda6                    23G  2.9G   19G  14% /
/dev/sda1                   373M  201M  153M  57% /boot
/dev/mapper/OS-usr    39G   23G   14G  63% /usr
/dev/mapper/OS-var    52G   30G   20G  61% /var

root@fireball / #

As you can see, root is a bit to large but I didn't know how much the
stuff that goes there would grow so I wanted to be safe since it is a
raw partition and not easy to change.  I put /usr and /var on LVM.  I've
had to grow both of those, /usr several times.  Since I plan to put /usr
on root, I'll have to add both those and add some growing room.  Other
than that, I'll make /var larger since I do have to use eclean on
occasion but /boot will be larger.  Yours being 4GBs is interesting.  I
may go about the same.  May go with 8GB in case I put Knoppix or
something on there too.  It gives me ideas.

Biggest thing, I kinda dread the EFI thing.  No old BIOS option
anymore.  I'm sure if I follow the Gentoo docs it will be fine but it's
new waters for me.

This is how I got the two NAS boxes and a couple other really old but
unusable systems.  Piecing old stuff together.  Sometimes, they can come
in handy.  ;-)

Thanks for the extra info.  It is helpful.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  Walmart doesn't sell four stick kits.  The only one that does is
Kingston.  I found it on Ebay.  It is a good brand.  I've used them
before with no problems.  I think tho, I'm going to buy two 32GB
sticks.  The mobo prefers them in pairs so I'll just have to hope I can
expand later.  I'll save the exact part number tho.  I'm spending more
on the mobo, CPU and memory for this rig than I spent on the whole rig
I'm currently using.  I'm including a hard drive, case, power supply and
other goodies in that.  So far, the thing I like best, the Fractal
Design case I bought.  Dang it's big.  :-D  Oh, I found a Chia Harvester
case the other day.  Holds over 40 drives.  O_O  I had to wipe my mouth
a few times, from all the drooling.  ROFLMBO