On Thursday 16 November 2006 19:55, jakommo wrote:
> Hi Listmembers,
>
> I have a problem the / Partition on my system is to smal, is there a
> save way to resize it?
> I know mounting other partitions to e.g. /usr will help but the / is
> only 4,6G so it will help only temporarily.

You have a tricky problem. Any partition hosting an ext2/3 or reiserfs
filesystame can be reduced, but it has to be unmounted first. The
partition in question is /, which cannot be unmounted in a running
system.

So, you have to boot off a LiveCD. teh gentoo installer gives you such
an environment, so does knoppix or ubuntu, or even (god forbid!) red
hat. You need to use the filesystem resizing tool, it's e2online (or
maybe ext2online) or resize_reiserfs to reduce the filesystem to an
appropriate value, then use fdisk to resize the partition to the same
size as the filesystem. This will free up the unused space after the
partition in quetion so you can do something else with it. Just
remember that this will usually renumber partitions between the new one
and the end of the disk and you have to account for that in /etc/fstab.

So if you reduce /dev/hda5 and create a new partition in the free space,
then whatever you used to call /dev/hda6 is now probably
called /dev/hda7

There are graphical tools around to make this simpler - I believe
partition magic has some ext2/3 support and gparted can do cool things.
I can't tell you if they are good or bad as I don't use them (I'm a
command line junkie :-)

alan