Dale wrote:
Mark Kirkwood wrote:
Dale wrote:
Mick wrote:
Hmm, this is what I am getting on a x86 build.

# ls -al /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar  3 22:09 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar  3 22:09 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar  3 22:09 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar  3 22:09 /dev/ttyS3

BTW, I am a member of the uucp group, but can't remember if I ever
added myself to it manually:

uucp:x:14:uucp,michael

There have been a lot of changes lately.
I'm updating today, so will let you know if my /dev/ttyS* change group
ownership thereafter.

If you can, check to see if udev was upgraded and there was a notice
that there are group changes.  I would think udev would be what was
changed. I'm curious to see your reply though.

Ok - here is the state after the emerge (recall group *was* tty):

$ ls -l /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS3

and /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules has been updated in the emerge to make this ownership change:

$ grep ttyS 50-udev.rules
KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tts/%n", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660"

I didn't see any notice, it just gets processed when doing etc-update. Probably worth eyeballing any changes to 50-udev.rules!

So looks like you need to be in the uucp group to dial-up now.

Cheers

Mark