On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:29, Florian Philipp
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Iain Buchanan schrieb:
>>
>> R C Mitchell wrote:
>>>
>>> I use Ubuntu for every day but as my box has a spare 40GB hard disk I
>>> decided
>>> to have a go at installing Gentoo on it for evaluation
>>
>> ah, who says Ubuntu isn't good for anything?  Good to see you're trying a
>> real distribution :) </flame>
>>
>> Typically now you'd prove me wrong and say how you've been using
>> <dieHardLinux> for years... anyhoo welcome!
>>
>>> [snip excellent problem report]
>>
>>> I'm reluctant to believe that this is down to an arbitrary hardware
>>> fault,
>>> since everything else works fine.  It does seem to have something to do
>>> with
>>> emerging gentoo-sources.
>>
>> hm, this screams hardware fault all over - I haven't seen one issue like
>> this come to anything else.  Usually it's the RAM.  Can you humour me and
>> try a stick from another machine, or at least reseat it?
>>

> Iain's diagnosis seems about right. I would start with a nice 2h memtest86+
> test followed with a 1h cpuburn test.

I agree. One of my systems NEEDS acpid configured and running else the
processor would just thermal shutdown on me (freezing before it,
sometimes). I would just try and emerge cpufreq stuff and down the
frequency (that, of course, if memtest exclude your ram). I say that
because a well configured system will throttle the CPU before
overheat, and cpuburn should run on the newly installed Gentoo to be
sure.

--
Daniel da Veiga