Stroller wrote:

On 28 Nov 2008, at 11:56, Iain Buchanan wrote:

R C Mitchell wrote:
I use Ubuntu for every day but as my box has a spare 40GB hard
disk I decided to have a go at installing Gentoo on it for
evaluation ... I'm in complete denial over this blatant
non-specific hardware fault ...

IFIFY.

IFIFY?

$ wtf IFIFY
IFIFY: nothing appropriate

hm, this screams hardware fault all over - I haven't seen one issue
 like this come to anything else.

+1.

nice to see people agree with me.

Usually it's the RAM. Can you humour me and try a stick from
another machine, or at least reseat it?

I'm gonna disagree.

oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

 RAM is like the classic answer, but my recent
experiences suggest it can be frikkin' anything. I mean, try the RAM
first, because it's easy, but due to the number of components in the
average PC I reckon that the statistics say it's something else
(especially in the case of typical home-build PCs built from parts
salvaged, donated, scrounged and hung-onto-for-sentimental-reasons
over the course of several years). The only way to be sure is to
unplug the USB headers and currently-unused floppy & optical drives,
then swap out the remaining components one at a time. This is why I
HATE messing around with hardware.

you're right, of course.

but girls don't exist on tha interwebz!

Nevertheless I will indulge in the suspension of my disbelief & be
extra extra helpful. [1]

Stroller.

[1] Perhaps you haven't seen me when I'm being unhelpful?.

yes, we have :p

BOFH Excuse #266:

All of the packets are empty.