Ok, "emerge -e world" completed successfully.

Bad news: X still crashes when scrolling in Mathematica...

On to the downgrade of xcb then, as much as I'd rather not do that.
As suggested, I would edit the world file to remove main X packages
and then use emerge --depclean to prune out the danglers.  As someone
who has never done this before, I got two questions:

1.  The easy one:  where is the world file located these days?

2.  The hard one:  which packages do I remove from the world file to
clean out anything X-related?  I read of a suggestion to remove
"x11-base/xorg-x11" and the rest would follow from depclean...  Is
that too optimistic?

Thanks,
Denis