> Let us know what blows up.  ;-)
>
> Dale

Nothing blew up ;-)  I was successful removing X, downgrading, and
getting X working again with xorg-server-1.5.3 and libxcb-1.1

FYI, the working package.mask file for this operation is:

>=x11-libs/libXext-1.0.5
>=x11-libs/libX11-1.2
>=x11-libs/libxcb-1.4
>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.6
>=x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4
>=x11-proto/xproto-7.0.15
>=x11-proto/xextproto-7.0.5
>=x11-libs/xcb-util-0.3.5
>=x11-proto/xcb-proto-1.2

However, this must not have restored my previous X configuration fully
because Mathematica still crashes.  So I've decided to abandon this
attempt, remove all masks, and allow the full X upgrade because I
reinstall all the X packages back onto my system.  While some folks
here probably think this attempt foolish, I still think it was worth a
try, and I learned some new things, which is always good.

I appreciate everyone's help and support with this.
Denis