Denis wrote:
>> Let us know what blows up.  ;-)
>>
>> Dale
>>

> Nothing blew up ;-)  I was successful removing X, downgrading, and
> getting X working again with xorg-server-1.5.3 and libxcb-1.1
>
> FYI, the working package.mask file for this operation is:
>

>> =x11-libs/libXext-1.0.5
>> =x11-libs/libX11-1.2
>> =x11-libs/libxcb-1.4
>> =x11-base/xorg-server-1.6
>> =x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4
>> =x11-proto/xproto-7.0.15
>> =x11-proto/xextproto-7.0.5
>> =x11-libs/xcb-util-0.3.5
>> =x11-proto/xcb-proto-1.2
>>

> However, this must not have restored my previous X configuration fully
> because Mathematica still crashes.  So I've decided to abandon this
> attempt, remove all masks, and allow the full X upgrade because I
> reinstall all the X packages back onto my system.  While some folks
> here probably think this attempt foolish, I still think it was worth a
> try, and I learned some new things, which is always good.
>
> I appreciate everyone's help and support with this.
> Denis

Well, I do foolish things sometimes myself.  Once every few months for
example, I run a emerge -ev world.  Then I reboot and make my back ups.
At least I know it is a sane build and it will boot if restored from.  I
don't back up as much as I used to since I got DSL.  I guess we all try
something just to satisfy our curiosity if nothing else.

I do wish it would have fixed your problem tho.  I would travel upstream
and see if you can help them by providing information on the crash.

Dale

:-)  :-)