Hi Rob,

1.  Installation of tomcat is straightforward. As it hasn't any native code
Tomcat is 64-bit if your Java is 64-bit. (Please note: the Apache web server
HAS native code, so you need a 64-bit version here) You can get it as zip
and convert to a service with sc.exe
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192) or you can use the service
installer. I like sc, because I always struggled with the automatic naming
of the services of the installer.

2. Whatever, JRE suffices I haven't found a difference between them. JDK is
advisable if you want to monitor the Java processes with something like
visualvm as it comes bundled with this version.

3. JRE/JDK6

4. No, you can run it as a service with Tomcat. You could even run it as a
service with Jetty, if you can get or create a 64-bit version (I do not
know). However, you would need to install it the same way like Tomcat, i.e.
deploy the war file because the Geoserver windows installer is only 32-bit.
The difference and advantage of the service over the batch-file start is
simply put: You log on manually start your batch file and then after a day's
work, log out and go home. That means your process is gone this moment,
while the service persists. So, a service makes sense.

5. Yes, there is none 64-bit=no JAI

6. I don't know. Swap servers if you can. However, if you have only one, my
best practice is: Install a second Tomcat (8180 or so), install the new
geoserver, copy the data directory, test and when you're happy switch it
using Apache, i.e. change the httpd.conf. So, the downtime is only the
Apache web server restart (2-3 minutes).

Hope that helps

Christian

-----

Dr Christian Maul
Project Manager

Information Services Branch
Department of Sustainability and Environment
Level13, Marland House, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne 3000

PO Box 500, East Melbourne Vic 3002

Telephone:        +61-3-8636 2325
Telefax:              +61-3-8636 2813