From: simbo...@gmail.com [mailto:simbo...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Simone
Giannecchini
Sent: 28 June 2013 18:05
To: Langford, Robert
Cc: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] Setting Up New Windows Server

Ciao Robert,
please, read my comments inline below...

In addition at this link you can find:

- a document useful for creating a clustered set up on windows using tomcat and
IIS. There are a few tips and tricks there.
- an skeleton instance of Tomcat preconfigured to run on windows with multiple
instances of geoserver

Here is the link:
http://goo.gl/Hd6F5

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more
information.
==

Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Langford, Robert
<robert.langf...@salford.gov.uk> wrote:

> Jonathan & Christian - Thanks for your input.
>

> So in summary for my set up, best option is looking like:
>

> 1)      Using Tomcat (64-bit) as a servlet and using the Geoserver WAR file
>
> 2)      Use JRE (unless further monitoring needed, then use JDK)
>
> 3)      Use JRE6
>
> 4)      Run Geoserver as a "Windows service" (through/via Tomcat)

I agree with all these steps.

> 5)      Use 64-bit JRE so no JAI (anyone have experience on performance
> differences?)

The difference will not be dramatic. In most cases it will be 5% to 10%.

> 6)      Upgrading to new point releases; as now using Tomcat, more options
> available than via standard Windows installer

Correct. You only need to stop tomcat remove the old war and drop the new one.

Make sure to:
-1- use an external data directory
-2- back up the current data dir prior to an upgrade
-3- put data outside the data directory (backups are easier to perform).

> I'd appreciate it if anyone else has any further thoughts on these points.  I
> never quite grasped the reason to use Tomcat as Geoserver works out the box
> with Jetty; felt like it added an extra layer for little benefit, but
> starting to see why.
>

> Thanks again,
>

> Rob
>

> DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this communication/message
> from robert.langf...@salford.gov.uk sent on Fri Jun 28 17:14:45 2013
> is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely
> for the addressee(s)
> geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net;jonathanmou...@warwickshire.gov.
> uk
>
> Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the
> intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message,
> or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and
> may be unlawful.
> As a public body, Salford City Council may be required to disclose this email
> [or any response to it] under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, unless the
> information in it is covered by one of the exemptions in the Act.
> Please immediately contact the sender, robert.langf...@salford.gov.uk if you
> have received this message in error.
>
> For the full disclaimer please access http://www.salford.gov.uk/e-mail.
> Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this communication/message from
robert.langf...@salford.gov.uk sent on Mon Jul  1 08:54:08 2013 is confidential
and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s)
simone.giannecch...@geo-solutions.it;geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net