Hi Rob,
  I have a similar setup to yourself and we're probably using it for the
same thing. I have a similar machine setup, though with much more RAM and
as a physical server.
One thing I'd do is just swap everything to x64.

1) See Christian's reply. Tomcat as a servlet is pretty easy to setup. Then
I just extract the war file and away I go.

2, 3) JRE works fine for me. Using 1.6 because 1.7 is still a work in
progress last I know.

4) You can run GeoServer (well, tomcat) as a service with 64bit tomcat. Per
Christian's reply.

5) No JAI I'm afraid.

6) I slightly disagree with Christian here. What I do with upgrades is
upgrade my test server. Then copy over the geoserver servlet directory to
my live machine. I shut down the live tomcat Service, delete the old
/geoserver/ directory, put the new one in there, start the Tomcat service.
Total time - about 1 or 2 minutes.

I'm using it with IIS acting as a load-balancer and reverse proxy.
Excellent tutorial here:
http://blogs.mulesoft.org/load-balancing-tomcat-7-using-iis-7-5/

Regards,

Jonathan

On 26 June 2013 16:15, Langford, Robert <robert.langf...@salford.gov.uk>wrote:

> List,****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m currently look to move from my testing environment to a live one and
> was wondering if anyone could provide any advice or tips.****
>
> ** **
>
> At present I’m using:****
>
> **·         **VMware Virtual Machine****
>
> **·         **2 Physical Processors (Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2680 0 @ 2.70GHz)
> ****
>
> **·         **4GB RAM****
>
> **·         **Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition x64****
>
> **·         **Geoserver 2.3.0 running as a service installed via the
> Windows Installer through Jetty****
>
> **·         **Oracle JRE 6 (32-bit)****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m planning on having my VM replicated and then installing everything
> from scratch on it (so up-to-date Geoserver, etc.).  however I have a few
> questions that I’ve found conflicting or limited advice on the internet
> about:****
>
> **1.       **As I don’t have an existing servlet container application
> (e.g. Tomcat), I’m presuming my options are either using the Windows
> Installer or the Windows Binary; is one preferred, what are the pros/cons?
> ****
>
> **2.       **Should I be using the JRE or JDK (or indeed Server JRE); I
> know that only JRE is required but I’ve seen some people advised in the
> past to use the JDK (I think it was using the latest version)?****
>
> **3.       **Which version of JRE/JDK should be used, I’ve been
> recommended to use JRE6 in the past but should I now be using JRE7; are
> there any compatibility/security issues with either?****
>
> **4.       **Also I note that if you use the Windows 64-bit JRE/JDK you
> cannot run Geoserver as a Service, what are the disadvantages of this, any
> recommendations?****
>
> **5.       **Again with the Windows 64-bit JRE/JDK; there doesn’t seem to
> be an option to install native JAI and JAI Image I/O extensions, would it
> be better to use the 64-bit JRE with the pure Java versions or use the
> 32-bit JRE with the native extensions?****
>
> **6.       **How have people found the best way to upgrade Geoserver to
> the new point releases?  Is the only way to take everything down, uninstall
> completely then reinstall Geoserver (+ extensions, etc.) every time? Any
> tips on limiting downtime?****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for your time and apologies for the number of questions.****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards,****
>
> ** **
>
> Rob****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this communication/message from
> robert.langf...@salford.gov.uk sent on Wed Jun 26 16:15:52 2013 is
> confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
> addressee(s) geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net

> [...]

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and
should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or
authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or
disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error
please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,
including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording
and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.