Hi Robert,
  We're using 64bit tomcat. Three instances clustered in much the same way
Simone specified.

Strictly speaking they can be 32bit tomcats - none of them is using more
than a couple of GB of RAM (even though I've set it to 5GB each instance).
This would also give the JAI native benefit.
That said, this setup is more than fast enough and can easily handle the
load - even of the "big launch" where an order of magnitude more people
used it than are ever going to in big usage.

So any setup should work probably. :-)

We're probably a similar size organisation to yourself.

Jonathan

On 1 July 2013 09:02, Simone Giannecchini <
simone.giannecch...@geo-solutions.it> wrote:

> Ciao Robert,
> It is probably worth giving a try to using the 32bits version and
> checking if native JAI works fine.
>
> At the same time it should not be a tremendous hit in performance
> using right away a 64 bits jvm.
>
> Regards,
> Simone Giannecchini
> ==
> Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for
> more information.
> ==
>
> Ing. Simone Giannecchini
> @simogeo
> Founder/Director
>
> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
> Italy
> phone: +39 0584 962313
> fax:     +39 0584 1660272
> mob:   +39 333 8128928
>
> http://www.geo-solutions.it
> http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Langford, Robert
> <robert.langf...@salford.gov.uk> wrote:
> > Simone,
> >
> > Thank you for your comments and the link.
> >
> > Regarding:
> >
> >         5) Use 64-bit JRE so no JAI (anyone have experience on
> performance differences?)
> >
> >         "The difference will not be dramatic. In most cases it will be
> 5% to 10%."
> >
> > Is that a 5-10% reduction in performance?  Is it still worth using the
> 64-bit version of Tomcat/Geoserver, as opposed to the 32-bit version with
> the JAI extensions?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Rob

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and
should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or
authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or
disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error
please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,
including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording
and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.