Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
> Jody wrote: Interesting; do you know what parser Peter was using?
>
> I should have included an excerpt of my conversation with Peter. Here it is...
>
> Landon asked Peter: Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I
> look forward to working on the GPX module for GeoTools. I've got a quick
> question for
> you to begin:
>
> How did you handle the actual parsing of the GPX xml file to produce
> the org.geotools.gpx.bean package? Did you use an xml binding
> framework like Castor?
>
> Peter answered: I did it in the way described here:
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTDOC/XML+Developers+Guide with
> some help from Justin. Though Justin said that even he doesn't use
> that now (or at least last August), but an other way. And after the
> code generation I edited some parts by hand too, so as it is now, it's
> not programmatically reproduceable.

So if I fill in the blanks; it looks like justin has started making
EObjects for the data model; and using a single "binding" class  (that
uses reflection) for the parser configuration; we are doing something
similar for WPS. If GPX is a simple format then this is over kill (but
fun), if you plan to embed mixed content into it then you may wish to
continue with the binding idea.

The "binding" framework in geotools; is related to but not the same as
Castor; the bindings are to specific xml elements it is true; but the
parser looks at the schema information in order to handles cases (like
GML) where someone has extended base elements (like Feature).
> Jody wrote: "If you do bring Paul's code over make sure we have permission
> to; or publish the jar to the maven repository etc..."
>
> I already talked to Paul about this and got his permission. I'll likely
> incorporate his Java files directly, instead of using a separate JAR file.

Sounds fine.  The metadata module has started using JAXB, so if that is
an option for you it may be fun? And would save another xml tech getting
in the mix.
> Paul did mention his code was released under the Apache license. Will
> I need to get it under the LGPL if I want to include his source files
> directly in my module? If I package them in a separate JAR on which my
> module depends, can they stay under the Apache license?

Good questions; I think we will need a bit of research to answer.
> I think Paul is pretty flexible on this issue. I want to do what is easiest.

Easiest is he signs a contributor agreement.