Adrian Custer ha scritto:
> Hey Andrea,
>
> I happened to notice you added imageio-ext to the build. It's cool that
> we can build without GDAL but unfortunately, for the reasons explained
> below, I have reverted that change on trunk at revision 31151. I expect
> that you will have to do the same on the 2.5 branch prior to release
> but, since that is critical for your work, I'll leave you to do the
> change when it works for you.
>

> As I understood things, the imageio-ext was isolated to a build profile
> for as long as it would take for the imageio-ext project to mature. Then
> we planned to have a formal review of that dependency like all the
> others and after that include it formally in Geotools. Unfortunately,
> this work is not yet done.
>
> Critically, a quick perusal of all the code files in imageio-ext shows
> that it's illegal for us to use. Legally we don't have the right even to
> read certain files (PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL) and there's at least one
> other issue I saw that makes it impossible for us to simply include in
> our build. That stuff will have to be cleared up in a convincing way.

Looked into it, the file in question has been removed from
their svn. Thanks for noticing it, it was indeed problematic license
wise.

> Hopefully, imageio-ext will undergo a formal review of its own, clean up
> what needs cleaning, and make an initial release when it's ready. After
> that, Geotools will be able to consider the formal dependency.

What would the review consist of?

Second observation, sorry if a bit sarcastic, but to be fair,
shouldn't we check that every library we're using goes thought
a formal review process?
Did anybody formally check that all the libraries we depend onto
are clean license wise?